News
| Cottingley In The News | Live News | Newspaper Clippings |

5th Mar 1965 - Guardian-Chronicle - Significance Of Centenary

MISS MARY CATLEY.


The rifle range, which was opened on September 26, 1914, attracted many Cottingley residents and a number of outsiders.


Shooting was a popular occupation among the land owners.


Children play happily in the street...


Article 2.


Page: [1] [2] [3]


"In Cottingley Bar when it was demolished"

MISS MARY CATLEY, of 2 New Row, Cottingley, was born in 1894. She was 18 when Cottingley Bar was pulled down; indeed, whe was still in the building with others when the top was pulled off.

She recalled that in her childhood days, Cottingley Bar, as well as the raspberry gardens which stretched up from near the parish church to Sandy Lane (where some of her relatives had plots) were owned by Mr. William Ferrand.

Much of the land was bought by Mr. Harry Briggs, who also built Cottingley Manor, now Cottingley Manor Roman Catholic Secondary School.


Photo

MISS MARY CATLEY


Miss Catley, who has lived in her present house for 51 years, was one of the many older residents educated at the Town Hall School, when the headmaster was Mr. William Kennedy, of Saltaire.

Both Miss Catley and Mrs. Elsie Heaton of 6 New Road, Cottingley, remembered the names of some of the other teachers of their day - Miss McKechnie and Mrs. Harriet Goodchild (nee Webb).


"A RIFLE RANGE AT COTTINGLEY"


Photo

The rifle range, which was opened on September 26, 1914, attracted many Cottingley residents and a number of outsiders.

Those pictured here include Mrs. Daisy Addison (formely Fielding), Mr. Walter R. Kay, Mr. Henry Ayrton, Mr. Willie Abberton, Mr. Tom Woodley, Mr. Tom Brooks, Mr. Sidney Ives, Mr. Arthur Wood, Mr. Walter Smith, Mr. Herbert Thompson, Mr. Jess Ives, Mrs. Violet Haigh (nee Webster), Mr. Clifford Stagg, and Mr. Albert Whittingham.


Photo

Shooting was a popular occupation among the land owners. This picture, taken about 40years ago in Cottingley Woods, shows (left to right), Mr. Edward Downing (gamekeeper), Mrs. E. Briggs, the Briggs' children, Mr. Teddy Briggs(land owner) and Mr. Tom Woodley.


Photo

Children play happily in the street ??? a picture taken about 1921 at the bottom of Smith Street, Cottingley. Children in the picture include Emma and Nancy Greenwood and Dorothy Fielding (later Wade). The buildings on the right have now been demolished.