News
| Cottingley In The News | Live News | Newspaper Clippings |

5th Mar 1965 - Guardian-Chronicle - Significance Of Centenary

Mrs. Elsie Heaton.


One of Cottingley's best-known buildings is the Sun Inn.


Article.


Page: [1] [2] [3]


"Significance of centenary"


Mrs. Elsie Heaton, of 6 New Row, Cottingley Bar, has lived for varying periods in Cottingley since 1890. The centenery at the Town Hall has a special significance for her, for her father, Mr. Tom Woodly, a local mechanic, was born in the same week as the Town Hall was opened.

The old Sun Inn also brought back happy memories. She recalled that at one time the licensee of the Inn - Mrs. Nancy Moore (later Mrs. Willis) gave older residents of Cottingley a free drink, provided they walked a certain distance. She could not recall when or how many miles they had to walk, but thought it was about two or three.

She recalled the floods during the 1914-18 war - how they swept off the moors and instead of running away in the beck, swept through the older part of the village.


Photo

MRS. ELSIE HEATON


Dams were built to divert the waters back into the beck. To help Cottingley families who were in distress, Mrs. Heaton stood at a street corner and collected for the victims: and even when warned that she might be summoned, continued to collect.

The floods were particularly bad in the region of the Sun Inn. On one occasion, a Mr. Tom Moore drove his horse and cart into the flood and they were swept away. Fortunately, Mr. Moore was uninjured, but Mr. Heaton could not remember whether the horse got off as lightly.

Mr. Woodly - Mrs. Heaton's father - once won a watch at the Cottingley Bar shooting range, which was opened in September, 1914.

Mrs. Heaton's husband's tailor's shop was on a part of the Main Street no longer standing.

Where people once entered the doorway to be measured for a new suit, they now enter a telephone box.


Photo

One of Cottingley's best-known buildings is the Sun Inn. This picture shows the Old Sun Inn, taken before 1928, when the present one opened.

The building whose chimneys can be seen on the extreme right was for many years used by the Cottingley Institute, and the wall on the leftwas one which gave way during floods in the early years of this century, allowing flood water to escape (see story on right).

The inn was sold in 1930 by Hammonds Brewery and became the Old Sun Garage Ltd.