History
| Timeline |

Timeline

1160

grant of land in Cottingley from the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem to Henry Wales.

1254 (Circa)

the Lord of the Manor obtained a charter for "free warren" (the right to preserve the beasts and fowls) and the land was later described as a park.

1566

the manor of Cottingley passed from the Franke family to a merchant, Bryan Bayles.

1590

the manor was sold for 1040 to four partners who in turn disposed of some of the farms to tenants.

1615

Richard Sunderland bought the "manor" which consisted of the former possessions of the Order of St. John at Cottingley and elsewhere in the district.

1616 April 3rd

at the Cottingley Court William Long, Edmund Fairburne, William Scott, William Wright and John Symson - common typlers and alehouse keepers - were fined for not keeping the Assize of Ale, but sold contrary to the statute. Also the administrators and executors of Richard Jowet( deceased of Helwicke) should make appearance before the next court to prove the will of the deceased.

1617

at the Cottingley Court the jurors found that William Francke made affray and drew blood upon William Lange of Cottingley. He was fined 10 shillings (6/8d for the blood and 3/4d for the affray). He was also fined a similar amount for making affray and drawing blood upon Steven Francke, his father.

Abraham Willman was fined 3/4d for playing football on the sabbath

Other inhabitants had allowed their swine to go unyoked and were fined 6d for every swine. The culprits were - Steven Francke (3), Robert Lister (4), William Long (2), and John Wright (1).

1631

Beckfoot hamlet was visited by the plague with many inhabitants dying.

1670

the farmhouse belonging to Manor Farm was built.

1753

an act was passed dealing with roads and waterways in order to arrange repairs and collect tolls. The Keighley to Bradford road was included in this act and the route to Bradford went up Bradford Old Road and over the moor. The toll bar was originally sited at Cottingley Bridge but was moved to Cottingley Bar in 1823.

1798

First mill built at the Holme next to the Bradford Beck a few hundred yards above the town's cornmill. It has a 15 h.p. steam engine. William Murgatroyd, the son of one of the partners later became Mayor of Bradford and built the pseudo-elizabethan mansion of Bankfield near Cottingley Bar

1823

the Cottingley Toll Bar was moved from its previous site near Cottingley Bridge to the junction of the new branch road to Shipley and the old Bradford Road at Cottingley Bar.

1835

From then a day school was conducted in Cottingley smithy.

1865

Cottingley Town Hall was opened.

1867

Bingley Industrial Co-operative Society opened a branch in Cottingley at the corner of Town Hill Street and Smith Street.

1877

a mission church of Holy Trinity was built at Cottingley with a schoolroom being added four years later.

1886

Cottingley became a separate parish with the consecration of the church as St. Michael & All Angels.

Between 1888 and 1891 both liberal and conservative clubs were founded in Cottingley.

1896

Cottingley Choral Society was born.

1913

Cottingley Toll House demolished and Cottingley Bridge widened.

1914 September 26th

The Cottingley Rifle Range was opened.

1926

Cottingley Choral Society came to an end.

Between 1922 and 1934 Cottingley Hall was demolished and the site became Cottingley Hall Farm. A new Cottingley Hall was built at this time and now houses the Yorkshire Clinic and Cottingley Hall Nursing Home.

1933

Cottingley finally got its new school which was sited at School Street.

1949

Blackhill Scout Camp

mid 1960s

Nab Wood Grammar School was built.